Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day Eight

mmm...so nice and warm with my new heater fan.

The challenge of writing a whole concert's worth of music in one month is starting to dawn on me. I need about one and a half to two hours worth of music ... yikes. For this reason, none of the music will be one hundred percent completely written out - it will all have some element of improvisation. Improv is present in almost all my music, some times it is used subtly in small doses and other times it accounts for almost all the musical material. Even a simple song will often only consist of a melody, chords and lyrics. It requires improvisation to turn that into a multi-part arrangement, even if the improvs become locked into place in subsequent versions. I also do things in a graphic notation. You can read about it hear: http://peterlawlessmusic.webs.com/structuredimprovs.htm . I rarely write these kinds of fully graphic scores anymore, but I may bring in a few of the symbols for pieces that include traditional notation.

Ultimately, what I am doing with these improv structures is to draw on the creative powers of the musicians I choose to help me create a richer experience than I could by dictatorially writing out every note. For this project, I am also helping to get everything I need done in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment