Friday, January 1, 2010

Day One

Yay! One day down, thirty more to go!
Composed today from 4pm to 6pm. The first thing I did was some brainstorming. I just starting writing random ideas at first. The one that interested me the most was "a political song cycle." Sometimes, I really hate it when artists get too political. Not because I don't think it's a valid subject, but because most of them don't seem to be well informed. I have been studying politics, philosophy, and economics for about a year now, and I feel like I have put in the requisite amount of scholarship to be able to make some informed statements. Also, my views are probably very different from those of the average (read: liberal democrat) artist/musician. More on that later.

The second thing I did in the window was one of my favorite composition exercises. What I do is take the lyrics to an already existing song and write a new melody and chord changes. Then, I write original words to my new melody. I wrote the melody, but didn't finish with the chord changes or write new words. Guess I know what to work on tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment