Monday, January 4, 2010

Day Four

REVOLUTION! I discovered something amazing and incredible today that will change the way I write music for at least the remainder of this project!!! While working I taped the paper up facing inward so that I would see it and write on it. Up to this point, I had been writing on a small clip in my lap, but now I can hang multiple sheets up to work on and refer to. Did I make to much out of that at the beginning?

I think I am just now starting to get over the technical challenges of composing in the window. I've already mentioned the bitter cold, but here's a review of some of the other difficulties I have encountered:

The space in this store-front window is quite small. Though it is more than ten feet long, it is less than three feet wide. Not only does this mean I don't have a lot of space to move or spread out my materials, but it also means that I can't fit a full size chair in their. I have been sitting on a small wooden chair, but, the past couple of days, I have simply opted to sit on the floor. This allows me to spread out or lie down, and it also puts me closer to the space heater!

The second problem was that of a keyboard to compose on. I had thought ahead, and before the start of the project, I used some Christmas money to by a tiny Korg keyboard MIDI controller (http://www.korg.com/nanoseries). The little thing does not play particularly well, but it is so small that I can use it anywhere I can use my laptop. Unfortunately, I dropped the keyboard on my way to my first session in the window. Two of the keys fell off and broke (the high Ab and Bb). I have continued to use the keyboard nonetheless, but it has caused me some difficulties. I just sort of have to imagine playing those two notes.

The third problem involves my main compositional crutch--the computer. I admit to being a composer who relies heavily on MIDI playback when composing. It has been a part of my compositional process since the very beginning. I was still in middle school when I downloaded my first notation software--some piece of freeware that I don't even remember the title of. I spent my first afternoon sort of randomly scattering notes around on the screen, and I composed a piece for clarinet and bassoon--the two instruments that I played at the time. Ever since, the computer has been involved in some set of almost every composition I write. Not to say that I haven't written some music out straight to paper, but nothing very large. My hand written music often involves graphic notation and improvisational forms. This is a much discussed/lamented topic in the composition world. The question is often asked if music notation software has had an impact on the compositional process. I am a clear example of the fact that it has, but I don't believe this is something to panic or worry about. Composers in the past learned the piano in order to bring their pieces alive. I, on the other hand, have quite poor skills on the piano, but I am highly skilled in many kinds of notation and audio editing softwares. I see this as neither positive or negative; it is simply a the fact that I have used the tools that i had at hand to achieve my creative goals. I don't think it would be cheating for me to bring a printer into the window so that I can write on the computer and print it to tape it up.

This brings up another issue: what are the rules? I did sign an agreement to perform the tasks listed as "The Premise" on this blog below, but these are very vague guidelines. Today I did something that may break that agreement! I about an hour working on a board game piece for tomorrow's Andrew Weathers concert (shameless plug!). We decided to open up the concert with a version of my Board Game for Improvisors, but I have decided to make a new version. I was worried about getting it down for tomorrow, so I used some of my window time for it. Does this mean that I have to perform it on the February? If so, SWEET, that means I already have one piece complete! I guess I will have to hang the board up in the window after tomorrow's concert, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment