Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day Three

O-M-Gina! It is flipping cold in this mofoin' window!
I spent today's session wrapped up in a blanket that is being used as a prop for Red Light Winter. I'm sure I must have been quite a sight to passers-by, with the blanket wrapped all the way over my head, but, of course, no one was stupid enough to be walking by in these blustery conditions. In addition to the blanket, I brought a space heater, but, even seated only inches away from it, I was freezing cold. The cold is most certainly having a negative effect on my composition process. There were many moments today when I simply wanted to stop writing and curl up in a little ball.

Not that I'm not making progress. Things are still very much in the planning stages. Most of what I have taped to the window contains no actual music - just words. Some of it is just brainstorming and verbal sketches and ideas, but some of it is also potential texts that I may set in some way. Nothing is very solid right now, but I'm hoping these things will begin to coalesce in the next week or so. For me, the planning stage is often the longest and hardest part of the compositional process. Once I form a plan, it is just a matter of sticking in the details ... and editing (though I'm not sure how much of that I will have time for!!!! AHH!)

No comments:

Post a Comment